Some of the documents below are presented in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is necessary to view the PDF files. Click here to download Acrobat Reader. Hiring Process Please click the links below to view the hiring process.
- Click here to view our Physical Performance Evaluation video. -Coming Soon-
- Code of Ethics, download.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Mission of the West Jackson Fire Department? It is the stated mission of the West Jackson Fire Department to provide maximum protection of life and property through the prevention and extinguishment of fires, delivery of Emergency Medical Services, and performance of any other services to the citizens of West Jackson Fire District that may be required to ensure a safe community.
- What is the Vision of the West Jackson Fire Department? It is the vision of the West Jackson Fire Department to be recognized by both those we serve and our members as: An organization striving to achieve a level of service that is viewed as a benchmark within the Fire Service. An exceptional department dedicated to the education of the public in order to promote life safety. A dynamic organization that adjusts to the changing needs of the community and its members. A department that is acknowledged for its pride, integrity, and professionalism in providing services to the community.
- What are the Guiding Principles of the West Jackson Fire Department? As members of the West Jackson Fire Department, we believe in the following principles: The safety of our members and the citizens we serve is paramount. We will provide the highest quality of service to all who call upon us. We believe in duty, pride and service. We recognize and respect the rights of all we serve. We are committed to the preservation of life and property of our citizens. We believe that the professional development of our members will lead to improved quality of service. We will promote a positive environment that inspires teamwork.
- Is West Jackson always accepting applications for Firefighter? Yes
- Are there any age requirements for the Firefighter position? There is only a minimum age requirement for the position. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time the application is submitted.
- Do I have to have a driver’s license to be a Firefighter? Yes, you must possess a valid driver’s license from the state in which you reside.
- After I apply, what should I expect? Your application is first received and screened by Department personnel. All applications that pass the initial screening will then be forwarded to the Operations Officer. Our Department will contact you by email regarding your next step in the process. This can take up to 4 – 6 weeks from the time you submit your application.
- How long does the hiring process take? There are five phases to the Firefighter hiring process. The process can take 2 – 4 months to complete. Once you have successfully completed all phases, you are placed on the Applicant Register (the list the Fire Chief selects from when filling positions). Candidates can be on the Applicant Register for a period of up to six months, and may or may not be selected to continue.
- How soon will West Jackson be hiring Firefighter’s? Full-time Candidates are hired as openings become available in the Department due to resignations, retirements, or the approval of new positions. There is no way to predict when these positions will need to be filled. Volunteer Firefighters are hired when the Department hosts a recruit class.
- How many Firefighter’s will West Jackson hire? There is no set amount of Firefighters hired each year. That depends on the needs of the Department and the approval of new positions (if any).
- Do I need to be physically fit to be a firefighter? Yes! Physical fitness is a foundation to the profession of firefighting, and should you be selected and hired to attend the West Jackson County Fire Academy, it is extremely important for you to show up in shape. Prior to employment, you should strive to maintain, and if possible, improve your physical fitness level.
- Is there a minimum fitness level I should be at upon hiring? To be successful in our recruit school, we recommend you be able to achieve the following. Run 1.5 miles in less than 13:00 minutes Complete 30 push‐ups in 1 minute Complete 40 sit‐ups in 1 minute Perform 5 pull‐ups Sit and reach 19 inches Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of less than 30
- I already have my Firefighter II certification. Do I still need to go through the entire recruit class? Candidates who already have the above certifications/licenses must submit certain information and documentation regarding their training, education, and work history that will be reviewed by the Fire Chief. A determination will be made based on this information as to whether a candidate will be exempt from the full recruit class and may be allowed to attend our Fast Track Program.
- How can I get more information? For more information, please email FireRecruiting.